If you’ve never tried a silken tofu chocolate mousse before, this recipe will take you completely by surprise! It’s rich, velvety smooth, creamy, and unbelievably easy to whip up. You’ll never guess that this is vegan, gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free. Perfect as a light after dinner treat or as a healthy snack.
Tofu is derived from soya and is an important source of protein (especially for vegetarians and vegans) and contains eight essential amino acids. It is also an excellent source of iron and calcium and the minerals manganese, selenium and phosphorous. In addition, tofu is a good source of magnesium, copper, zinc and vitamin B1.
Soybeans are high in healthy polyunsaturated fats, especially omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid.
The calcium and magnesium in soy may help strengthen bones, lessen symptoms of PMS, regulate blood sugar, and prevent migraine headaches.
Dark chocolate contains prebiotic fibre, which feeds the friendly bacteria in your gut.
- 100g organic dark chocolate
- 340g organic silken tofu at room temperature, drained
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- To melt the chocolate, use the bain-marie method (break the chocolate into pieces and place in a pyrex basin over a saucepan of boiling water), until the chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, place the silken tofu and maple syrup in a food processor and blend until very smooth. Add the melted chocolate and blend until well combined.
- Scoop the mixture into ramekins or glasses and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with raspberries and a sprig of fresh mint.
FMT Nutritional Therapist
Nutritionist BSc Hons ANutr.